Friday, February 10, 2012

A Visit from the Tooth Fairy


We lead fairly hectic lives in our household, and seem to always be on the go. That doesn’t, however, stop us from taking time to celebrate the small milestones. And especially while the kids are young and still believe in magical things, I do my best to play up those special moments for them. After all, far too soon they won't believe in magical things like Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy.


 My daughter is funny about losing teeth. While we've never come at her with pliers to extract her wiggly pearly whites, she won't let my husband or me anywhere near her mouth. Rather, this job is for Grandma. Or, in this case, a ham sandwich.

Now, this isn't her first lost tooth. In fact, it marks number five. This time around, it was the lower right lateral incisor. (Yes, I had to look that up.) It's been wobbly for a good number of weeks now, and if Grandma isn't around to test its pulling readiness, she resorts to soft foods or trying to skip meals altogether so as not to accidentally dislodge the teetering tooth.

But alas, her rumbling tummy must have gotten the better of her, for she came home from school yesterday to announce that one bite into her sandwich found her loose tooth embedded in her bread.

When she lost her first tooth (her lower left central incisor), my husband and I decided it would be nifty if the Tooth Fairy brought her a big bright silver dollar. She wasn't as excited about this idea, confiding in her cousin that she wished the Tooth Fairy had brought her "real money," but seemed to warm to the concept when her aunts and uncles reassured her how totally awesome and cool it was to receive a big silver dollar. I was rather relieved, since I vividly remember being let down by the Tooth Fairy myself when I was in kindergarten. She brought me a quarter, but forgot to take the tooth. My mother, while giving my father a very pointed glare, explained to me that no, it wasn't that the Tooth Fairy didn't *want* my tooth, she just had a full satchel and would be back the following night to claim it.

And so, last night, my daughter carefully brushed her little incisor and placed it in her tooth pillow. Much later, after finishing up an article on an upcoming holiday, the Tooth Fairy closed her laptop and snuck into a darkened room to make the swap. A glittery note from the tooth-snatching sprite encouraged her to keep brushing. After all, fairies love things to sparkle!


This morning she gleefully announced that yes, the Tooth Fairy had brought her another fabulous silver dollar and a note! "I have to write her a thank you note tonight!" she gushed.


I know that Santa letters go to the North Pole, and a quick wink at the post mistress in town is all that's needed when the kids deliver their holiday wish lists. Now I just have to figure out where the Tooth Fairy lives…